Would your family know how to escape if there was a fire in your home? A home escape
plan is a plan to get out of your home safely in case of a fire. Every household member
should know two ways out of each room in case one is blocked by fire or smoke.
Here are some easy steps to follow in helping your child with this plan.
1. Get your family together and use the blank Floor Plan Grid provided with this letter to
draw a simple floor plan of each level of your home.
2. Plan two ways out of each room. The first way out should be a door and the second
way out could be another door or window.
3. Make sure doors and windows can be opened easily. In a two-story building, plan
your escape through a window onto a roof or porch. If you must use an escape ladder, be
sure everyone knows where it is and how to use it.
4, Choose a special meeting place outside the home and mark it on the floor plan. A
meeting place should be something that stays in the same place, such as a tree, telephone
pole, or a neighbour’s house.
5. Make sure everyone understands the planned escape routes.
6. Install smoke alarms on each level of your home and outside each sleeping area. Test
them weekly and change the batteries once a year.
7. Have a home fire drill at least twice a year. Have family member practise using their
second way out as well as their primary one.
8. If you live in an apartment, use the stairs. Never use an elevator in case of a fire. The
elevator could take you to the floor where the fire is burning. If fire blocks your exit,
close the apartment door and cover all cracks where smoke could enter. Telephone the
fire department even if firefighters are already at the building. Tell them where you are.
Wave a towel or sheet at the window to help the firefighters find you.
9. If you live in a mobile home, follow the same steps. Keep all exits clear and install
smoke alarms on interior walls.
- Firefighter Recruitment
- Tanker Shuttle Accreditation
- About Us
- Contact Us
- Station 1 Simcoe
- Station 2 Port Dover
- Station 3 Waterford
- Station 4 Teeterville
- Station 5 Delhi
- Station 6 Courtland
- Station 7 Langton
- Station 8 Fairground
- Station 9 Port Rowan
- Station 10 St. Williams
- Station 11 Vittoria
- January 2018
- June 2017
- January 2017
- October 2016
- August 2016
- July 2016
- June 2016
- May 2016
- January 2016
- May 2015
- October 2014
- September 2014
- June 2014
- May 2014
- April 2014
- October 2013
- June 2013
- May 2013
- February 2013
- January 2013
- December 2012
- November 2012
- October 2012
- September 2012
- August 2012
- July 2012
- May 2012
- March 2012
- February 2012
- January 2012
- December 2011
- November 2011
- October 2011
- September 2011