Norfolk County Fire Department recruits volunteer firefighters once a year beginning in June with applications to be submitted in early August.
This process is now CLOSED for 2018.
FOR INFORMATION ONLY – the following was the 2018 application process.
The application process for volunteer firefighters is designed to help candidates understand the degree of skill, commitment, and personal character required to be a successful volunteer firefighter.
- All successful candidates will be expected to successfully complete a mandatory recruit training program. As a recruit, you need to be aware that this training consists of a self-study program accompanied with classroom participation one weekend a month for six (6) months.
- Selected volunteer firefighters will be assigned to the fire station nearest their home address.
- To have your application considered you must complete the application form in its entirety and the information must be accurate to the best of your knowledge.
- Completed applications need to be placed in a sealed envelope, addressed “Firefighter Application” and delivered to headquarters by the application deadline on Wednesday, August 30, 2018 at 16:30 pm.
These positions are voluntary however there is reimbursement for your time when responding to emergencies, training and for certain activities. The application process for volunteer firefighters is designed to help Candidates understand the degree of skill, commitment, and personal character required to be a successful volunteer firefighter.
We have opportunities for recruits in the following fire stations:
Norfolk County Fire Department held TWO (2) information sessions:
- Thursday, July 13, 2018 at the Langton Community Centre, 28 Albert Street
- Monday, July 17, 2018 at Fanshawe College in Simcoe, 634 Ireland Road
These sessions will begin at 7:00 pm and will provide a great opportunity to learn and gather information on being a volunteer firefighter.
The selection process to achieve full membership in the fire department consists of the following steps:
- Application form information and attachments.
- Written aptitude test to be held on Saturday, September 9th, 2018 **NO RETEST DATE**
- Physical and mental abilities test to be held on Saturday, September 9th, 2018 **NO RETEST DATE**
- Individual Candidate interview.
- Offer of membership to selected Candidates (conditional on satisfactory medical, police and driving record checks).
- Mandatory attendance at an orientation session to be held on Saturday, February 24th, 2018.
- Successful completion of a mandatory six month recruit training program.
- Successful recruits will be offered a position as a Probationary Firefighter (one year probationary period).
- Obtain DZ driver’s license within 2 years of successfully completing probation.
Volunteer Firefighter Fillable Application Form
Volunteer Firefighter Application Information