Menu Close

Courtland’s Firefighting History

The Middleton Volunteer Fire Brigade was established following a meeting on May 15, 1959, where a committee was formed. By June, they had purchased an American Marsh fire truck, and by November, the truck was delivered, training began for 21 volunteers, and a fire hall was built. The Middleton Fire Department officially began operations on January 1, 1960, responding to 34 fire calls that year. They also held their first annual banquet and took a first aid course to assist the public. The department took on a community project to repair and improve the local skating rink.

In 1961 and 1962, the department responded to 42 and 54 fire calls, respectively. They paved the driveway, installed a Canada Flag, added a scroll of founding members, and acquired a tanker truck. The department was active in the community, hosting field days at schools, a Halloween party, and a supper for the volunteers’ wives.

By 1963, the department responded to 56 fire calls, appointed a new Fire Chief and Deputy Chief, and assisted Delhi for the first time. They continued community involvement by sponsoring a school field day. In 1964, they responded to 29 fire calls and adopted the motto “Be Prompt – No matter how long it takes us.”

From 1965 to 1966, the department responded to 42 fire calls each year and saw changes in leadership with new appointments for Deputy Chief and Fire Chief. In 1967, the fire call records were not available.

In 1968, they responded to 50 fire calls and organized events such as a family picnic, a walkathon, and distributing Christmas baskets. They also introduced service pins for 5, 10, 15, and 20 years of service.

Between 1969 and 1972, the department continued to respond to an average of 42 fire calls annually, organized fishing trips, discussed firemen’s attire, and appointed new Captains. The department remained active in both firefighting and community support throughout these years.