Menu Close

History of the Norfolk County Fire Department

The Norfolk County Fire and Rescue Services was created in 2001 through amalgamation. The following fire departments were merged:

  1. Charlotteville Township Fire Area 1, Timeline: 1956-1974
    • Vittoria Fire Station-1956- 1566 Old Brock Street
      • Charlotteville Station 1- 1956-1974
      • Delhi Station 3 1974-2001
  2. Charlotteville Township Fire Area 2 Timeline: ?-1974
    • St. Williams Fire Station
  3. Town of Delhi Fire Department- Timeline: Circa 1895-1974
    • “H.S Pettit Blacksmith” Shop- 1895
    • Original Delhi Fire Station- 234 Main Street Circa 1896
    • Second Delhi Fire Station- Church Street
    • Current Delhi Fire Station – 104 Argyle Ave
  4. Windham Township/Teeterville Fire Department- Timeline: 1949-1974
    • Teeterville Fire Brigade/Fire Department 1943-1949

  1. Houghton Township Fire Department in Fairground: Timeline: ?-1974
    • Fairground Station
  2. Middleton Township Fire Department in Courtland- Timeline: ?-1974
    • Courtland Fire Station
  3. North Walsingham Township Fire Department in Langton- Timeline: ?-1974
    • Langton Fire Station
  4. Port Rowan Fire Department- Timeline: ?-1974
    • Port Rowan Fire Department

  1. Simcoe Fire Companies
    1. No. 1 Company Bridage- Market Square
    2. North Ward (aka. Wellington Brigade)-Windham Street
      • The Erie Fire Company

  1. Port Dover Fire Department- Timeline: 1920-1974
  2. Waterford Fire Department- Timeline: Circa 1853-1974
    • Waterford Fire Company #1-June 1853

Many of these departments were created during the imposition of regional government on Haldimand-Norfolk in 1974 which led to the amalgamation and restructuring of smaller fire services.

In 2018 the department rebranded to The Norfolk County Fire Department.

Learn more about the history of our original fire departments here:

Simcoe

Port Dover